Photobucket

be consistent through the race."

in General discussion Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:04 am
by ldh2013 • 33 Posts | 330 Points

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The previous time the Carolina Hurricanes had a month like this, a rare playoff appearance soon followed. The Hurricanes capped their first 10-win month since 2009 by beating the St. Louis Blues 3-1 on Friday night. Jeff Skinner scored the go-ahead goal in the second period, Alexander Semin added an empty-netter with 1:04 left and Nathan Gerbe scored on an early power play. Opening a four-game homestand that precedes the Olympic break, Carolina earned its fifth win in six games while staying in the mix in the crowded Metropolitan Division. "We want to have a good feeling going into the break and we want to sort of build off this win," Skinner said. David Backes scored on the power play for St. Louis. The Blues, who average 3.36 goals per game, missed a chance to pull even with Chicago atop the Central Division by losing just their fourth game against an Eastern Conference team. "Hard to find a lot of good players in our game today," St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock said. "They deserve a lot of credit. They skated. They checked. They played hard. And we looked like we had the body language like we wanted an easier game. Didnt get it." Anton Khudobin stopped 26 shots for the Hurricanes. Jaroslav Halak made 28 saves in his fourth straight start, but had his four-game winning streak snapped. Khudobin stopped all 10 shots he faced in the third period, including a nifty leg save on Alex Pietrangelo with about 1 1/2 minutes left. And, he got some help from the goal post after two Blues -- Jaden Schwartz and Jay Bouwmeester -- each rang it in the final 2 minutes. "You need the post to be a goalies best friend," Carolina coach Kirk Muller said. Semin then tacked on his highlight-reel empty-net goal that capped the Hurricanes best month in a while. They went 10-4 in January, and their previous 10-win month in March 2009 led into their only playoff appearance since 2006, when they won their only Stanley Cup. Skinner put Carolina up 2-1 off a draw 1:51 into the second. After Jordan Staal won a faceoff, the puck found Skinners stick and he beat Halak with a wrist shot from the slot that clipped the goalies glove for his seventh goal of the month. "Didnt really mean to bank it off his glove and in," Skinner said. "You just try and get it to the net sometimes." That turned out to be enough support for Khudobin, who earned the decision in every game this month for Carolina. He helped the Hurricanes leapfrog idle Columbus and Philadelphia in the division standings, with 59 points. When the night started, only 11 points separated second place from the cellar in the Metropolitan. The Hurricanes never trailed on Friday, taking advantage of some sloppy play early by the Blues -- who were whistled for three penalties in the opening 11:25. Carolina went up 1-0 when Gerbe one-timed a slick cross-ice pass from Andrej Sekera 3:46 in. "The puck had moved, and there was an opening there and he found a soft area," Sekera said. "He was wide open, so I just tried to get it to him, and he did a pretty good job." The Blues, who have the leagues second-best power-play unit, tied it at 9:23 when Backes beat Khudobin high for his 150th career goal with St. Louis but just his second since Dec. 14. "Its nice to be back on the scoreboard but were more interested in winning," Backes said. "Tonight was a game where they brought a hard-skating, tough-checking game, and we didnt have a ton of answers for it." NOTES: St. Louis finished the month 9-5-0. ... The Blues entered with 37 points on the road, the second-best total in the league, but have not won in Raleigh since 2009. ... Carolina G Cam Ward, out all of January with an unspecified lower-body injury, made a conditioning start Friday night with Charlotte of the AHL. Shabazz Muhammad Timberwolves Jersey .S. - B.C.s Kalia Van Osch locked up a semifinal berth in womens competition at the Canadian junior curling championships Thursday with a 7-6 extra-end win over New Brunswicks Jessica Daigle. Blake Griffin Clippers Jersey . Parker had 26 points and eight assists and San Antonio beat Toronto 112-99 Monday night. "We won that game because of Tony Parkers aggressiveness," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "His juice; his aggression all night long. http://www.nbaofficialonline.com/Los-Angeles-Clippers-Authentic-Cj-Wilcox-Jersey/ . Under the terms of a 30-year deal released by the county, the Braves would put in $372 million, or 55 per cent, and Cobb County would be responsible for the remaining $300 million, or 45 per cent. The Cobb County Board of Commissioners is set to consider the deal on Nov. Memphis Grizzlies Jersey . -- Trail Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge will be out for a week because of a left groin strain. Luol Deng Heat Jersey . Stephens, who beat Serena Williams en route to the 2013 Australian Open semifinals, won nine of the last 10 games in a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Anabel Medina Garrigues in the womens singles before Isner beat Daniel Munoz-de La Nava 6-3, 6-4.MONT SAINTE ANNE, Quebec - Canadian mountain bike racer, Catharine Pendrel won on home soil today, at the Mont Sainte Anne World Cup, in Beaupre, Quebec. This is the second win of the World Cup season for the defending World Champion. "It seemed like my teammate Georgia was on fire, there was no reeling her in. I was able to maintain the same pace as her, but not reel her in," said Pendrel after the race. "The course is so tough, and I was trying to recover in between, but I realized I would never make up any ground if I was allowing myself any recovery. I was really trying to accelerate in every little piece of trail that I could. Georgia started to suffer for the pace she set early on. Luckily I was able to maintain and be consistent through the race." Pendrel was slow from the start, and was riding steady, just under a minute behind leader, American Georgia Gould. With two laps to go, Pendrel started to charge, passing Gould withh one lap remaining, and taking a comfortable lead to the finish.dddddddddddd "With the Olympic announcement on Wednesday, everyone is so excited," said Pendrel. "I would love to be able to do this in a month or so. This was a good race to see that those gaps do form, and Ive got some fine tuning to do before August."Gould held on to finish second. Marie-Helene Premont, of nearby Chateau Richer, Quebec, finished third, her best result this season. Premont has twice represented Canada at the Olympic Games, winning a medal at the Athens 2004 Olympics, but failed to perform earlier this season and was not included in the official team selection. Emily Batty, who will be Pendrels Olympic teammate, finished sixth after a slow start. Each subsequent lap, Batty was able to make up time on the riders around her, but could not get close enough to secure a top five position. The mens race takes place Saturday afternoon. cheap jerseys wholesale jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Photobucket
Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Jamest
Board Statistics
The forum has 11526 topics and 13666 posts.

0 members have been online today: