Photobucket

Experienced Bartender wanted

in Here is your first Forum Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:46 am
by teelio • 2 Posts | 2 Points

Are you gonna Smile For me?

This industry is sexist. I have logged in over twenty years behind the bar. I have extensive knowledge of craft beers, wine, liquor and spirits. My recipee index could fill a keg room, but at the last job I worked at, a male, of the same nationality as the owners, who had very little, possibly less than two years experience as a bartender, ( I won't say mixologist, because I wouldn't trust this guy to mix a bowl of tuna fish with mayonnaise) was promoted to bar manager.

I have worked at Biker bars, Sports bars, private Country clubs, fine dining, casual family restaurants, corporate Franchises and cut-throat night clubs. I know how to make a person like me and forget me in five seconds, and I can anticipate a customers needs to the point that I could practically write in the dollar amount that they are going to tip me on their credit card slips, before I serve their second drink.
But I can't fight discrimination, abuse of authority or sheer ignorance.
This industry is over loaded with it!
I should be at the top of my field right now, but instead I have decided to retire from the bar. I should be earning over 45k a year based on my experience and work ethic, but instead I am struggling to make ends meet.
I can't help but think that had I been connected with the right emplyer, something I have been struggling to do for almost twenty six years now in this industry that things would've been infinitely better for me.

I hope that THE List will be a place where the Restaurant Owner and Employee can have a dialogue about subjects like this.
It's a shame that I no longer answer ads with title of this post.

Last edited Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:50 am | Scroll up

Photobucket
Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Dominic